Having the right marketing analytics tracking and reporting services in place can help you grow your business by making smarter marketing investment decisions. It’s not just about delighting customers or improving ROI; informed decision making means you don’t have to sink a three-point shot on a court with no lights on.
A marketing analytics consultant can turn on the lights. From Google Analytics tracking to social media, they can illuminate parts of the customer journey that even the customers themselves don’t see. Using event-based tracking, Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, Google Search Console, and Google Data Studio, we’ll show you exactly where your leads, purchases, and traffic is coming from so you can put your marketing dollars where they make the biggest impact.
Why Marketing Analytics Tracking Matters
If the actions of your customers sometimes leave you scratching your head it’s time to set up advanced goal tracking and attribution.
Find yourself launching a new product line or campaign, certain it will take home the title only to watch it knocked out in the first round? Enter the remarketing campaign to tempt buyers who changed their mind on the payment screen and stop cart abandonment in its tracks. Follow them around with those cute shoes until they pull the trigger. Dominate the SERPS with an e-commerce SEO campaign complete with purchase, addtocart, and abandoned cart event tracking.
As unpredictable and fluid as customer preferences, competitive landscape, and marketing performance may seem at times, there is a rhyme and reason. To understand the why we must first know the action.
Marketing Analytics IS More than Data
Most businesses today collect a lot of data. You may be saying to yourself right now: we don’t need more data. But the important thing to understand about data is that the average business collects a lot of data. But some 73% of it goes unused.
That’s because they don’t have the systems in place to turn raw data into actionable business intelligence. This is what Marketing Analytics Tracking & Reporting Services do.
They can improve how you collect data and what you collect. But more importantly, social media, email, Adwords, Google Analytics tracking, and analysis services can help you make sense of data and know how to use it.
What Could Better Marketing Analytics Do for Your Business?
When you collect and analyze marketing data, you understand:
- Who your most valuable customers are – Know where to focus your efforts
- What the customer journey really looks like – How do they get from point A to B to C. What can you do to improve that process?
- When and how often people buy – Illuminating the buying cycle allow you to master the art of timing to sell more, sell more often, and upsell to increase Customer Lifetime Value (CLV)
- How marketing efforts get results – With marketing analytics, you can see precisely how activities like social media management, content marketing, or other brand-building marketing activities directly lead to brand awareness, more leads, and improved sales.
- Which are your best-performing channels – Which marketing channels send you the most targeted traffic? Which sends you people who become paying customers?
- What customers think about your website – Customer behavior on your website gives you a wealth of information you can use to increase engagement, reduce abandonment, and earn customers’ trust. Google Analytics Reporting helps you understand what behaviors are telling you.
- Where best to allocate resources – If you’re getting good traffic from Instagram, but you put more time/effort into your Twitter account with few returns, what would happen is you focused more effort on Instagram?
- How to grow your presence and results – A marketing analytics consultant uncovers growth opportunities.
- How to improve your ROI – Ultimately, this is what it’s all about. How can we spend less and make more? You don’t do this by pinching pennies. You do it by understanding where, when, how, who, and what to invest in getting the best results. You discover this through marketing analytics and reporting.
The Marketing Analytics Consultant Process
Ultimately, a Marketing Analytics Consultant helps you Gather, Analyze, and Make Your Move confidently because every decision is based on the data.
Doing that requires four straightforward steps.
- Establish/Clarify Your Goals
- Set up a System to Capture Data relevant to those goals
- Analyze that Data
- Convert that Analysis into easy-to-understand and actionable reports, including data visualization, which makes understanding even faster.
Understand Your Customers Across Channels
AdWords, Facebook, Twitter, Watching videos on your website, Foot Traffic — these may all seem like completely independent ways customer encounters. But chances are, there’s a lot of overlap.
The places where these channels overlap are where your most likely customers are.
Understanding how all of these channels work together to guide a customer through the Buyer’s Journey helps you more efficiently turn brand awareness into leads into paying customers.
A customer first sees you on Twitter. They click the link and come to your website where they watch a product video. Then they leave. But that’s not the end of them.
They continue to see you on Twitter and Facebook, so when your AdWords ad comes up in their Google search, they click it because they recognize you. They get to your site. They browse and sign up for your email newsletter. Then they leave.
They get your email newsletter and keep thinking about buying something from you.
Then they walk into your physical store to make a purchase the next day.
This may seem like a winding road. But reporting shows how these channels are all connected and how you can guide this individual across channels seamlessly
While all of these channels are important, there’s one that is, by far, your most important asset.
That’s your website!
It’s the hub for everything you do online. If it’s not right, nothing will be.
The website is where customers learn about you and complete transactions. You also learn a lot about customers by merely looking at what they do when they get here.
Given its importance, let’s look at what Marketing Analytics in action by seeing how a Google Analytics Tracking Expert sheds light on customer behavior by looking at your website.
It starts with an audit.
Google Analytics Audit
During this audit, the marketing analytics consultant’s goal is to see if your Google Analytics is set up and how you’re collecting data.
Google Analytics may be free. And it may seem simple on the surface.
How much traffic do you get? Where does traffic come from?
Our Marketing Analytics consultant help you see more.
They understand the advanced tools and data and how they work together to understand the Buyer’s Journey and user experience.
Assuming your account is set up, during the audit, they’ll work to understand what numbers you’re currently tracking and how your unique business can get the most out of this free tool.
They’ll look for any errors or gaps in how your Google Analytics account setups to make sure you’re getting the whole picture of customer interactions with your site.
Optimizing Your Google Analytics Set-up to Meet Business Needs
After the audit, a marketing analytics consultant will make specific recommendations for changes to improve how you collect data through this account to meet your unique business needs. And depending on the capacity of the consultant, they may make the changes for you.
After adding the changes, a consultant will run tests to ensure that the numbers you’re collecting are accurate through a verification process.
At the same time, they’ll show you how the numbers are tracked and how the data is relevant to your KPIs.
They can show you how to track:
- The results of paid advertising – What actually happened after that person clicked the ad?
- The results of your SEO efforts – How visible are you in search? Are people clicking?
- Conversion tracking – Google Analytics has visual tools to see conversion percentages and paths to improve sales and marketing funnels.
- Path-to-conversion – Understand the paths visitors take from arrival to becoming a customer. Remove barriers along the way to optimize this path and really get the marketing results flowing.
- Heat-Mapping – See what people are looking at on a page and for how long to conversion-optimized pages
- Visitor Trends – Learn the who (anonymized), when, and how about website traffic
- Traffic sources – Know where the most qualified leads are coming from
- Website Improvement – Get specific guidance on how you can improve your website to maximize your returns.
Google Analytics reporting and visualization allow you to get all of this in the form of useable business intelligence.
Google Tags Manager
This is a separate free tool from Google that gives you a more granular look at how people use your site. A google analytics tracking expert will help you get it set up when you’re ready for more insights.
Google Analytics Consulting
Google Analytics has so much to offer. And most companies are only aware of a fraction of its capabilities. Yes. Better understanding your website data can transform the customer experience and help you more effectively meet business goals. A Google Analytics Reporting Expert fine-tunes your usage and can provide the ongoing support you need to get results.
Marketing Analytics Consulting
Google Analytics is just one piece of your marketing data, albeit an important one. From looking at only this one, it’s easy to see how gathering insights like these across channels can increase the quality and quantity of your traffic as well as the revenues you generate from those visits.